Sunday, March 14, 2010

Evolution of Music - Floating Away

14th March, 2009

Dear Reader,

How have you been? Things are a little troublesome down here. With strikes within our college and growing enmity between the students and the management, our college is closed down until further notice. So this time I really didn't have any interesting experience to tell. Me and few of my friends went shopping one day and shopped and shopped until we dropped :D

Thus, today, all I can do to keep this small letter interesting is to tell you my experience in making music. No, I wouldn't even call it 'making music'. Unlike the professionals who have spent days and days learning music before becoming a full fledged composer/musician; I didn't have any training in any form of music. I've learnt a lot through experimentation, internet and some through my brother's knowledge of Guitar. So I really can't say that I make music or that I'm a knowledgeable composer/musician. Rather my head comes up with a random melody. If I happen to record it on my computer, then starts a wonderful, boring and slow process of evolution. Yes, My music evolves. Just like the way you and me are growing up or have grown up to be what we are right now, my music grows and evolves to be what it is right now.

When I'm not listening any music, my mind subconsciously arranges melodies that even I myself haven't heard of. One day, when I really had nothing better to do, I sat down on the computer and created a rather simple pattern of musical chords. Somehow, the chords coming from a single instrument gave me a serene feeling... as if I was dreaming. However, at that time it simply didn't feel like I had arranged the music. I saved it and then listened to it on repeat mode. Soon, a few more melodies came to my mind. I recorded them with a bass guitar type instrument and bell type instruments. Before I realized, it was already 2 hours when I was adding more and more melodies to the chords along with a drum beat pattern. I felt a bit sleepy and saved whatever I had made that time. But before going to sleep, I recorded it and saved it. While saving it, I named it "Floating Away" because everytime I heard it, I felt like I was floating away to a completely different dream like world.

This way, "Floating Away 01" was born. Listen to it on the music player below. You may not feel the same way as me about this song. It's OK. After all it's not something made by a Pro Musician/Composer. But if you listen to it, then I'm sure you'll agree with me that it is very plain and simple. It hasn't got many instruments and there isn't any special effects in it either.

However, a few days later, I heard the recording again. And this time more melodies came to my head. I worked another 2 hours or so before I felt satisfied with it. This time "Floating Away 01" grew into what you probably know as "Floating Away 02". I'm sure you've heard it by now. It's in the main Music Player in my blog page. I've also put this song in the music player below, so that you can feel the evolution of "Floating Away 01" into "Floating Away 02". You'll realize that "Floating Away 02" has many more instruments that "Floating Away 01", and you might not have noticed, but I added some effects too. It has more complex rhythms and patterns than "Floating Away 01".

Nonetheless, I still wasn't satisfied with "Floating Away 02". It didn't have a intro or so I felt. So a few days ago, I sat down and once again added a few more melodies to "Floating Away 02" along with lots of special effects and filters. Now, it's a lot like what I wanted it to be. I wanted a intro that should give one a feeling of slowing entering a dream like world; and then suddenly the dreamer comes into a beautiful Utopia. But still, I'm not totally satisfied with it. I think I've added too many instruments and effects. It's making the song "too full" to be felt. Thus I've added a INC tag to it which means Incomplete. It's also in the music player below named as "Floating Away 03".

I'm sure by now you would have realized how different "Floating Away 01" is different from "Floating Away 02". This difference is a lot like a small child that looks very different when he/she grows up to be a adolescent. "Floating Away 02" isn't much different from "Floating Away 03 when you listen to it. But it's more complete and hopefully more mature like a grown up and experienced adult.

Did you feel how Floating Away evolved from a simple one and a half minute tune to a 3 minute, and professional sounding song?

Oh well. It seems now I must close off. The guys here want me to play counter strike now. But I'll keep writing to you, so wait for my letters and hopefully more songs/music. There might just be a "Floating Away 04" too. :)
Also, I'll be looking forward to your replies.

Yours truly,
Selenium Glow

Attached below -> list of all versions of "Floating Away" ever made.



-> Download and listen to Floating Away 01
-> Download and listen to Floating Away 02
-> Download and listen to Floating Away 03

3 comments:

Samadrita said...

Gah I donno which version I like best.I just love all of 'em :))
And btw in which city are you in right now?My college was closed due to strikes n all for almost 10 days.It finally reopened last week.

NesQuarX said...

Impressive. You've got a definite knack for ambience. I likes!

Selenium said...

@Sammy ::> Well... Thanks :)
Question answered in your blog's comment box

@NesQuarX ::> I'm happy you liked it :)